Traveling with your dog or cat can be fun for you and your pet. Preparation is key to keeping stress to a minimum. Below is a general check list of items to pack for your furry friend:
* Fresh water (screw top water bottles will work well)
* Water bowl
* Food bowl
* Bedding (or towel or blanket)
* Medication (remember heartworm preventative and flea control)
* Tranquilizers or motion sickness medication, if necessary (discuss with your veterinarian before travel)
* Copy of veterinarian record including vaccination history and your veterinarians name and phone number. Rabies vaccine is required by law)
* Certificate of Veterinary Inspection for Interstate Movement (if traveling by plane, bus or train)
* Identification (tag, collar, microchip, tattoo)
* Recent photo of your pet
* Doggie waste bags (for easy clean-up and disposal)
* Consolidating all your dog or cat’s gear into one bag maintains organization
* Most pets that are prone to motion sickness do better when not fed prior to travel. For those pets that are especially nervous, discuss options with your veterinarian to lessen their anxiety.
* Many hotels allow pets. Check with your destination for pet friendly accommodations
* When you are prepared and relaxed, your pet will be too.
* Have fun!
Dr. Michelle A. Stallions
Green Cove Animal Hospital
3363 Highway 17 N.
Green Cove Springs, FL 32043